Think about your fondest childhood memory. Most people remember what they were wearing, the scenery, actions and facial expressions when thinking about a memorable moment. People are reactive and receptive to visuals in real life and in media. In fact, in an article explaining the effectiveness of infographics, Forbes stated that 65% of us are visual learners.
The use of visuals in social media can directly influence the way people engage with content and perceive a brand. Visual marketing is taking off because of the technology we have today – smartphones and tablets. In my experience, social media posts with a visual receive more engagement than any other post. Hubspot’s Dan Zarrella actually found that there’s a 37% increase in engagement when Facebook posts include photographs!
It’s important to know what visuals can do for you and your brand and how to successfully develop your content around visuals within your social media strategy.
What is visual marketing?
Visual marketing uses visual aids to communicate a brand’s message or story using design elements, graphics, and branding. Types of digital visual marketing include infographics, videos, blogs, graphics, presentations, games, widgets and more.
What are the benefits of visual marketing in social media?
- More website traffic – Attract people who wouldn’t take time to read long copy. When you attract people to your social media page or blog, they are more likely to go to your website.
- Increased engagement – Posts with visuals receive 94% more page visits and engagement than posts without visuals. Photos and videos seem to get more likes, comments & shares.
- Increased SEO – Using keywords and tags provides greater opportunity to be found through organic search.
- More shares – Reach more people with engaging visual content.
- Brand awareness – If your visuals have a consistent look, you are developing a brand identity. People will immediately notice who you are if your logo is somewhere to be seen, your brand’s colors are present, and the message of your visuals is consistent.
Why does visual marketing work?
There’s a psychology to visual marketing. Humans are very visual. Visual perception is the brain’s ability to interpret the visual surrounding environment. This interpretation is made by the experiences that the brain has had in the past with these surroundings. Visual perception is at the root of information processing. It’s easier for your brain to decode a message from a visual element than from text. Everything is processed almost simultaneously.
Color also plays a huge role in visual marketing. Certain colors can actually influence a specific emotion. However, it’s difficult to classify consumer responses to individual colors (below) because color is too dependent on personal experiences. There are broad messages to be found in color perceptions. This article does a great job explaining the psychology of color in marketing.
Visual marketing and social media
Businesses are learning to show, not tell, on social media. When marketing and branding, the design of your image should convey the overall message. The image speaks to the brain. What do you want your image or video to say?
Create a graphic, video, or infographics that communicates the message of your brand and what your social media update or blog post is saying. This visual will trigger responses in your audience almost immediately. If you need some inspiration to get you going, here are 10 types of awesome visual content:
You can use visual content on social media to increase engagement and inspire sharing. It’s easy to see that visual marketing has become increasingly important for business to consumer communication. If you can rock visual marketing and integrate it into your social media, you will find yourself being a market leader!