As I’ve mentioned before, hashtags are everywhere and they are important if you want to be successful in social media. Once used only on Twitter, hashtags can be found an every popular social network.
I’ve already gone over what hashtags can do for your business. However, if you’ve noticed at most of the seminars, conferences and networking events you’ve gone to, they have had their own hashtag.
Event hashtags help people who attend the event. They can organize their online conversations and stay connected even after the event has ended. It also helps you see the online discussions easier. You can also increase awareness and visibility of your event. It brings everything that is digital about your event together. Ultimately, an event hashtag results in a stronger and more effective social media campaign.
If you have an event coming up, you can create an event hashtag to boost your social media engagement and success. Follow these tips to get the most out of your hashtag:
1. Make it unique. If you already have a hashtag in mind, search Twitter or another social network for the hashtag. If it’s been used frequently and recently, you will need to rethink it. Remember, the purpose of a hashtag that is associated with an event is to connect the attendees to one another. If it’s already being used, it can be confusing and ineffective.
2. Short is best. You will want your event hashtag be short and sweet. The shorter it is, the more room your attendees and you will have to share thoughts, experiences and information. In social media posts, every character counts! The perfect hashtag will have 10 or less characters.
3. Relate it to the event and make it clear. The hashtag should obviously reflect your event. It should be easy to understand and decipher. Make sure that your attendees will be able to know what it’s about just by looking at it with no context.
4. Make it memorable. If your attendees can’t remember the hashtag, it’s useless. Don’t use abbreviations that the general public won’t understand. You want your attendees to use this hashtag when they are talking about your event, so if they remember it, they will most likely use it more often. Make sure you properly promote the event and the hashtag in order for people to know about it. Include it in all social promotions and registration page for your event and track the hashtag on all social sites. This blog gives several great tips on how to encourage people to use and promote your event hashtag.
5. Brand it. Make sure to use the hashtags across all social media accounts your company has. If it’s consistent and branded, it will be more successful and visible.
If you successfully create and implement an event hashtag, you’re on your way to running a successful social media campaign. Having a clearly branded and effectively used hashtag will improve your social media presence! Just remember, that social media and hashtags are just part of what makes your marketing efforts and your business successful.